Goal: Increase Tri-C’s waste diversion recycling rate to 50% by 2025.
Help Tri-C recycle more by being conscientious about recycling.
With mixed recycling collection, it’s never been easier – all recyclables can go together in a single bin
! Beyond recycling being easy, below are some great reasons to recycle:
Fun facts about recycling:
- Recycling saves money on waste disposal and helps keeps tuition low
- Recycling keeps your campus, community, and workplace clean
- Recycling saves resources & energy
- Recycling creates jobs – according to the Ohio department of Natural Resources over 100,000 jobs in Ohio are dependent upon recycling
Progress to date:
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to power a TV for 3 hours and uses 95% less energy to make a new can than it would take to make a new can from raw materials.
- Recycling one plastic bottle saves enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb for 3 hours, and recycled plastic bottles can be made back into bottles or into carpet or clothing.
- Paper is made from trees and every ton of paper recycled saves 17 trees!
- Tri-C’s mixed recycling program (also known as “single-stream” or “fully commingled” recycling) allows paper, cardboard, bottles, and cans to all be recycled together in a single bin. Recyclable materials are hauled to a materials recovery facility (MRF) where they are sorted into individual commodities for recycling.
- Scrap metal, pallets, electronic waste, light bulbs, and other materials are recycled by operations staff.
- 25% diversion rate in 2011, with 350 tons recycled or diverted from the landfill.
- Facilities Operations staff recycled nearly 50 tons of scrap metal in 2011.